Apr 06, 2011 Atlantis! The spectacular Atlantis Bahamas resort on Paradise Island wasn't designed to be visited. Atlantis was designed to be experienced! With the world's largest marine habitat, the largest casino in the Bahamas and the Caribbean, a 15 million dollar marina, lagoons, waterfalls and the underwater ruins of Atlantis itself. Vacationing at the Atlantis Bahamas Resort, Paradise Island, has.
- Paradise Island Resorts Nassau Bahamas
- Paradise Island Casino Bluffton
- One Casino Drive Paradise Island Nassau Bahamas
- Paradise Island Casino Nassau Bahamas Real Estate
|Atlantis Paradise Island|
|Location||Paradise Island, Bahamas|
|Opened||1968 (as Paradise Island Hotel and Casino)|
1998 (as Atlantis Paradise Island)
|Management||Brookfield Asset Management|
|Design and construction|
|Developer||Kerzner International Resorts|
|Number of rooms||3,805|
|Number of suites||Suites (Royal, Coral, Beach, Cove, Reef, Harborside), Super Suites (Royal Bridge)|
Atlantis Paradise Island is an ocean-themed resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. It features a variety of accommodations built around Aquaventure, a 62-hectare (154-acre) waterscape, which includes fresh and saltwater lagoons, pools, marine habitats, water slides, and river rides.
Paradise Island Resorts Nassau Bahamas
The property was originally part of the Paradise Island Hotel and Casino, which opened in 1968. It was owned by Resorts International, a Merv Griffin company. Donald Trump at one point owned a majority stake in Resorts International. He spun off ownership of the Trump Taj Mahal property from the company and sold Resorts in full, including outstanding debts from the Taj Mahal construction, to Griffin. Paradise Island was purchased by South African hotel magnate Sol Kerzner and Kerzner International Limited in 1994, and Kerzner's new resort, comprising the Coral Towers and previously built The Beach Tower, opened officially in 1998. The property's name was changed to Atlantis when The Royal Towers was built. The Coral Towers and The Beach Tower were later refurbished to match the theme of the Royal Towers. On March 28, 2007, a 600-suite luxury hotel named The Cove Atlantis opened on Paradise Island. Another tower, the 497-room The Reef, opened 19 December 2007.
Currently, the property is owned and operated by Brookfield Hospitality. In October 2014, Atlantis, Paradise Island became a member of Marriott International's Autograph Collection Hotels, which includes a marketing partnership with the brand in order for guests to earn or redeem Marriott Rewards at Atlantis.
Accommodations at the resort include:
- The Beach Tower is recommended for travelers looking for a more casual stay. The location is close to the beach and the resort pools.
- The Coral Tower is 600 plus rooms and appeals to 'mid-range travelers'. It is closer to more action including the swim-up bar and resort pools.
- The Royal Tower contains the 'Bridge Suite', ranked in 2002 by Forbes as the most expensive hotel rooms in the world. The Bridge Suite, billed at US$25,000 per night, is listed at number 10 on the World's 15 most expensive hotel suites compiled by CNN Go in 2012.
- Harborside Resort consists of 392 villas and features a harbor-front restaurant, pool area including a children's pool with water fountains, a fitness facility, a sundry store, and all-day shuttle service to Atlantis;
- The Reef, the newest building at Atlantis, consists of condominium hotel residences.
- The Cove is a 600-suite tower that opened in 2007. Dolphin Cay is at the rear of the building. This hotel also contains a Mosaic restaurant.
Mayan Temple Slides
The Mayan Temple is the grand icon of Aquaventure, with a height of over six stories. The structure features a series of water rides, including the Leap of Faith, a 18-metre (60 ft) near-perpendicular plunge that sends riders through a clear acrylic tunnel submerged in a shark-filled lagoon.
The Rapid River
The Rapid River is a 1.6-kilometre (1 mi) water ride complete with waves, artificial tidal surges, rapids, and environmental effects such as steam, special lighting, and waterfalls. The Falls and the Drop water coasters are accessible from The Rapid River without the guest needing to leave their inner-tube. The Rapid River has changed only slightly since its 2007 opening, with an optional rapids waterway closing.
The Power Tower is the tallest feature of Aquaventure, at 120 feet tall. The tower is home to four water slides.
Atlantis is home to 14 lagoons and more than 50,000 aquatic animals representing over 250 marine species. The Dig simulates the 11,000-year-old lost continent and provides a look at the civilization, home to sea creatures. The goal of The Dig is to provide guests with a taste of life in the fabled city of Atlantis.
A Predator Lagoon is full of sawfishes, barracudas, stingrays, and sharks. A 100-foot (30 m) clear acrylic tunnel runs underwater, allowing visitors unobstructed views of the marine environment.
The Ocean Club Golf is a private 18-hole, par 72 championship golf course that stretches for over 7,100 yards. The course features a restaurant and bar located at the clubhouse. Many professional golf events are hosted at the Ocean Club Golf including the LPGA Pure Silk Bahamas Classic.
Piece of 8 Tours
Atlantis guests can experience the new nearby island excursions on charter boats. Guests can swim with the pigs, relax for the day on the private Rose-Island, or snorkel the shallows. Discover Paradise Island and Nassau Harbour onboard of Atlantis’s customized luxury boats. Pieces of 8 tours have 12 m (38 ft) Fountain powerboats that cruise up to 72 km/h (45 mph).
The Marina and Marina Village
The resort features a marina designed to dock large yachts. The eastern side of the marina features the Marina Village, which is a small shopping centre.
The Dolphin Cay was the first rehabilitation centre in the Bahamas. It is the home to a 6-hectare (14-acre) marine habitat for rescued bottlenose dolphins, sea lions and manta rays. Care is provided by over 100 professional specialists in marine wildlife. The first mammals found were 17 stranded bottlenose dolphins and 10 sea lions. All these were rescued from Gulfport, Mississippi where Hurricane Katrina hit. After years of rehabilitation and care training started and the dolphins learned commands with trainers. This allows Atlantis guests to get first-hand interactions and experiences with each animal this includes hands-on and communicating with the dolphins. Many interactions are offered which include shallow water experiences, swimming deep, and paddle boarding or kayaking across the lagoon.
Paradise Island Casino Bluffton
The Blue Project Foundation
The Blue Project Foundation is a nonprofit organization working to save species and their habitats located all throughout the Bahamas and the Caribbean sea. The community fundraising is used for a sanctuary for all species from rare to commonly found sea creatures. The funding is received from the Atlantis guests who engage in the hands-on interactions and experiences with the animals. These donations go into the health and nourishment for all the rescued animals. Along with that, team members work to restore coral reefs and clean up pollution.
The marine habitat is an “open-air” habitat that includes 14 lagoons with over 50,000 animals. The Ruins Lagoon contains lobster, snapper, a colorful reef, and the opportunity for Atlantis guests to snorkel with the many different species. The Predator Lagoon accommodates sharks, rays, and barracudas. Many sharks are also located in the Mayan Temple Shark Lagoon where guests slide through an inclosed waterslide through the aquarium. In the shallows of the Reef Lagoon, it is home to the nurse sharks that spend their time resting across the bottom. The Stingray Lagoon is a shallow and sandy lagoon with many rays and a chance for guests to be able to touch and feed them.
- ^'History of Resorts International, Inc. – FundingUniverse'. Fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- ^'On the Scene: Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas'. Meetingstoday.com. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- ^'Reef Atlantis'. WhereToStay.com. Retrieved 2010-03-15.
- ^'Atlantis resort in Bahamas joins forces with Marriott'. miamiherald. Retrieved 2015-10-09.
- ^'The Coral at Atlantis Review: What To REALLY Expect If You Stay'. Oyster.com. Retrieved 2019-11-22.
- ^'The Coral at Atlantis Review: What To REALLY Expect If You Stay'. Oyster.com. Retrieved 2019-11-22.
- ^'The World's Most Expensive Hotel Rooms'. Forbes Review. Retrieved 2002-03-07.
- ^Arnold, Helen 'World's 15 most expensive hotel suites'Archived 2012-11-02 at the Wayback MachineCNN Go. 25 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-11
- ^'Ocean Club Golf'. Atlantis Paradise Island. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- ^'Clubhouse Restaurant & Bar'. Atlantis Paradise Island. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- ^'Atlantis Paradise Island Bahamas'. www.atlantisbahamas.com. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- ^'Atlantis Paradise Island Bahamas'. www.atlantisbahamas.com. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- ^'About The Blue Project The Blue Project'. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- ^'Atlantis Paradise Island Bahamas'. www.atlantisbahamas.com. Retrieved 2019-11-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Atlantis, Paradise Island.|
Coordinates: 25°5′6″N77°19′15″W / 25.08500°N 77.32083°W
Crown Convention Center
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Mandalay Bay Events Center
Paradise, United States
Pasadena Civic Auditorium
|Miss Teen USA|
The Venetian Resort
Las Vegas, Nevada
A view of Paradise Island from above. This image shows the new development of Atlantis which is in the center of the island.
|Coordinates||25°05′N77°20′W / 25.083°N 77.333°WCoordinates: 25°05′N77°20′W / 25.083°N 77.333°W|
|• Summer (DST)|
Paradise Island is an island in the Bahamas formerly known as Hog Island. The island, with an area of 277 hectares (685 acres) (2.8 km2/1.1 sq mi), is located just off the shore of the city of Nassau, which is itself located on the northern edge of the island of New Providence. It is best known for the sprawling resort Atlantis with its extensive water park rides, pools, beach, restaurants, walk-in aquarium and casinos.
Paradise Island is connected to the island of New Providence by two bridges that cross Nassau Harbour. The first was built in 1966 by Resorts International, and the second in the late 1990s.
- 1Recent history
- 3In popular culture
Paradise Island Airport
A small airstrip existed on the island from 1989 to 1999 to serve the resort. Prior to 1989 the airport was a seaplane base with a ramp for aircraft to leave the water. In 1989 a 910-metre (3,000 ft) runway was added to the airport.Both Paradise Island Airlines and Chalk's International Airlines were the main tenants of the airport.
The STOL capable de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 turboprop operated by Paradise Island Airlines as well the Grumman G-73 Mallardamphibian aircraft flown by Chalk's International Airlines both served the airstrip which closed in 1999. The airfield and runway have since been removed and replaced with an 18-hole luxury golf course surrounded by one of the wealthiest neighborhoods on the island. The area goes by the name 'Ocean Club' with property prices as high as 40+ million dollars.
Purchase by Huntington Hartford and development as a resort
Huntington Hartford, the A&P supermarket heir, arrived on Hog Island in 1959. Hartford bought Hog Island from Axel Wenner-Gren and changed the name to Paradise Island. He hired the Palm Beach architect John Volk and built the Ocean Club, Cafe Martinique, Hurricane Hole, the Golf Course, among other island landmarks. He also acquired and installed the Cloisters, a 14th-century French Augustinian monastery originally purchased in Montréjeau and dismantled by William Randolph Hearst in the 1920s. He hired Gary Player to be the golf pro and Pancho Gonzales to be the tennis pro. His opening of Paradise Island in 1962 was covered in Newsweek and Time magazines. He hired the staff from Eden Roc at Hotel Du Cap to work off season at the Ocean Club. He had the fireworks for the opening party flown in from the South of France. He had a flag and Paradise Beach was featured on a Bahamian three-dollar notes in 1966 (introduced as a close equivalent to the Bahamian Pound, which was replaced at the rate of $1 = £7, so $3 = £21).
Development as a gambling resort
Huntington Hartford met James M. Crosby (1927–1986) through Huntington's bodyguard Sy Alter. Sy Alter met Jim Crosby at the Colony Club in Palm Beach. Huntington Hartford obtained the gambling licence for Paradise Island and included Jim Crosby as an extra investor. Jim Crosby and Jack Davis then formed a company, Resorts International, to continue developing Paradise Island. Recognizing the business potential of the Bahamas, they were the first to establish major resort development, and often offered above-average salaries to Bahamanian employees. The two continued to develop Paradise Island. They built the bridge to Nassau and the first large-scale resorts.
Paradise Island was purchased in the 1980s for $79 million, then sold to Merv Griffin for $400 million. It was last sold for $125 million to the current owner, Sol Kerzner. The current estimated value of the island is about US$2 billion.
The Royal Towers joined by the Bridge. The Bridge Suite, located in the span, is among the most expensive accommodations in the world at $25,000 a night.
View towards Nassau from The Cloisters on Paradise Island. The Cloisters is the remains of the cloisters of a 14th-century French monastery which was transported to the island in the 1920s by William Randolph Hearst, and finally erected in the 1960s by Huntington Hartford.
Bridge from Nassau to Paradise Island
Paradise Island Lighthouse, constructed 1817 at the western tip of the island
The French Cloisters is the reconstructed remains of the cloisters of a 14th-century French monastery.
Lagoon at Atlantis Resort
Marina at Atlantis Resort
|Climate data for Paradise Island|
|Average high °C (°F)||25|
|Average low °C (°F)||17|
|Average rainfall mm (inches)||39|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||217||232||248||270||279||248||278||279||210||217||210||217||2,905|
In popular culture
- The Beatles' film Help! (1965) was partially filmed on Paradise Island.
- The James Bond film Thunderball (1965) was partially shot on Paradise Island.
- The film My Father the Hero (1994) was filmed at Paradise Island.
- Atlantis Paradise Island is prominent in the Mary-Kate and Ashley film Holiday in the Sun (2001).
- A larger part of the island is shown in the movie After the Sunset (2004).
- The James Bond film Casino Royale (2006) was partially shot on Paradise Island.
- The film The Other Woman (2014) features a section of Paradise Island's beach in the early morning.
- The TV show My Wife and Kids filmed one of their episodes[which?] on Paradise Island.
- Survivor: All-Stars contestants Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich were married on Paradise Island in a two-hour TV special.
- ^'About Nassau/Paradise Island'. bahamas.com. Bahamas Ministry of Tourism. Archived from the original on 5 February 2013. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- ^'Discover Atlantis Resorts and Residences in Dubai and Atlantis Sanya'. atlantis.com.
- ^'Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas'. @KuoniTravelUK.
- ^'36 Hours in Nassau, the Bahamas'. The New York Times. 28 October 2007.
- ^'New Planes Help Deliver Visitors To Paradise Island'. tribunedigital-sunsentinel.
- ^'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2011-02-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) See point 16
- ^Adam Bernstein, 'Huntington Hartford Lost Millions on Investments', The Washington Post, May 20, 2008.
- ^Block, Alan A. (1998). Masters of Paradise. Transaction Publishers. p. 68. ISBN1-56000-971-3.
- ^'The Cloister at Versailles Gardens'. wikimapia.org.
- Block, Alan A. (1998). Masters of Paradise. New Brunswick and London: Transaction Publishers. ISBN1-56000-971-3.
- Cheshes, Jay (December 3, 1998). 'The Scary Side of Paradise'. Miami New Times.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Paradise Island.|
One Casino Drive Paradise Island Nassau Bahamas
- 'Official Nassau Paradise Island Travel Guide'. nassauparadiseisland.com.
- 'Paradise Island Travel Guide'. GoParadiseIsland.com.